Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sunday, May 15 (MN Edition)

A wheel came off the mower...but "all four are (still) on the bus, baby."  I'll start with the end of the weekend first and explain the quasi-metaphor as well re-capping the EaganRitzman (as opposed to those Ukrainian Ritzmans) weekend...a.k.a. Dave and Lucas.

In an earlier post (Mothers Day), I said we were in a groove...that is,keeping the wheels on the bus ...and rollin'.  I reminded myself of this and thanked God for His grace and provsion to keep the wheels on the bus after the wheel on my lawn mower broke 10 minutes into cutting the backyard for the first time this season. 

Unbeknownst to my neighbor, I call their house but spoke to a neighbor girl babysitting. I borrowed his lawn mower (I owe you one , Mike)...you see, after a long weekend of Scout camping, Lucas's friend Jagger and his father Jack brought him back to their house to play...I had 90 minutes to cut a lawn I desparately wanted to cut all week but couldn't due to weather or no time...this was my opportunity...so,  I clandestinely "borrowed" the neighbors lawn mower. It may seem strange but then, as I cut the lawn, I began to think about all I'm thankful to God for this past week.  I'm thankful to Him for:
  • being  another week closer to reuniting with my wife and both sons (together) after 3 weeks
  • progress in Ukraine, albeit draining for Jeanne and Jason on Friday, to keep us on track
  • Jeanne and Jason having friends nearby in Kyiv (Boehrs, Moores, etc.) and to enjoy the city and final days
  • an excellent Adoption Team in Kyiv (Igor, Viktor, etc.) as well as our agency in MN- ECAS
  • family and friends who stand by us in prayer as well as offer their support in tangible ways, although I don't always take you up on it...I greatly appreciate knowing you care
  • Wahoskes for having us over for a "mamma meal" (as Lucas put it) Tuesday and then, inviting us to see their daughter's dance recital Friday
  • Zuzeks for the use of camping gear and having Jake over last Saturday to play with Lucas
  • Pintz's for watching our beloved pooch-Sadie as Lucas and I do scout camp...and the mower
  • Thompsons for having Lucas over to play with Jagger and then, have me by later for a pizza dinner
  • continued business and new opportunities after being gone 5 weeks in Kyiv and out of the sales cycle
  • Lucas's resilience to all the change in 2 months, especially without momma, that most adults don't even fare well at, yet he's only 7 years old...he's done well in every aspect of his life...I'm proud of him...thank you God
  • a reprieve in the rain early Saturday morning to get the tent up before the next rain...a great Scout Camp in spite of weather with boys and parents making the best of it and making it the best for their boys...a lot of excellence in leadership and service as well as fun time
  • the privilege and responsibility to conduct Sunday worship at Scout camp
  • and again, six days 'til our family reunion and the next chapter of life we'll enjoy with many of you
Here are some highlights from Scout Camp at Kiwanas Boy Scout Camp in Marine-on-the-St. Croix on fishing opener weekend.  Hoo-ah Den 7 Bears!  Hoo-ah Pack 455!

Activities: Kick Ball, BB Guns, Archery, Fishing, Leather work, Whittling, Camp Fire, Skits, Great food

St Croix River was very high and beautiful as you look across to Wisconsin. It was probably too cold for our friends the ticks.

Lucas just became a Bear Scout...here are some Bears helping to serve at dinner.



We were mostly outside with steady light rain (9-5) and a healthy, constant breeze which made the high of 45 degrees feel much colder.  We still enjoyed the activites and we're glad to have a main lodge for refuge.  Bear Cub is the first time you can earn a Whittling Chip...your right to carry a pocket knife and whittle.  You can lose it too without properly following safety rules and have to re-earn it.  8 year old, excited boys with knives...Mom, you gotta love it!



After passing the instruction by Cubmaster Ron, each boy earns their whittling chip (an "official card" with rules) and every violation results in a corner of the card cut off.  Four corners means a "do-over" in your training.  With no time to waste, Lucas grabs the nearest stick and...look mom, no blood!



Why whittle alone when you can be with a friend...Lucas and Sean whittling...I can see these guys as old men in their rockers on the porch...whittling...check out the Coke



After a rather warm (inside the sleeping bag and tent) night of sleeping, we had a beautiful day, Sunday...sunny, 60s, light breeze.  Thank you, God. 

The worship service message was based on 2 Samuel 22:2, The Lord is my rock, my fortress and deliverer and Psalm 28:7.  I had some older scouts read, lots of inter-change with the group asking for examples in life where God was a helper, a healer, a deliverer, etc.  We also had unplanned guests...a group of about 20 developmentally disabled adults camping elsewhere, walked in, sat down and participated too.  Very cool! Everyone gave testimony on God's goodness in their lives for how He provided, He healed, He saved, etc.  I ended by praying over the group for God's help in their needs.


Some awards earned as well as other Scouts as well as Lucas's leather work.


Praise God for an awesome week and weekend!

1 comment: